Should You Use a Test Kit to Identify Mold?
The other thing that comes to my mind is: Are you going to risk possible health problems by using a 5 minute mold test kit?
Unfortunately I need to tell you that most of these kits are a waste of money, especially when you will probably end up hiring a mold inspector anyway.
A waste of time and money
- Although these kits can give you a few answers, some that you most likely already know, they can’t provide the whole picture.
- Basically they test only for the presence of mold…mold is always present, so this is not new or helpful information.
- When the mold test indicates the presence of mold, it doesn’t mean you have a mold problem.
- These kits, because they will almost always test positive for mold, strike fear in the hearts of homeowners who now think they have a mold problem, when they don’t necessarily have one.
- Mold kits do not inspect the entire home or building.
- Mold inspectors, using their expertise of building construction and problematic situations that encourage mold growth, will examine the structure inside and out, looking for such things as:
- Poorly ventilated attics and crawl spaces
- Cracks in the foundation that can allow moisture in
- Leaks in plumbing
- Condensation, excess humidity
- Inadequate outside drainage that doesn’t move water away from the house.
Here is what I think…
As a certified mold inspector, I recommend that you do not waste your efforts on mold detection kits. Not only do they provide you with information that you already know, but they won’t identify what the problem is that started the mold and how to effectively resolve the issue.
Mold Solutions is a full service mold solutions provider for the Seattle Puget Sound area, Bellevue, Everett, or Tacoma
We can remove the threats to your health and safety caused by mold.