Blog Articles About Health
“Mold is Dangerous”…True or False?
Does Your Home Exhibit Signs of Mold Growth?
Like many people, you may have mold growing in your home and not recognize the signs that it has become an unwanted resident, or as they used to say in the “old west”, it’s squatting on your property.
The problem is, by not being aware of, or ignoring the signs of mold growth, you open the door of destruction. Active, growing mold will destroy walls, wood, upholstery, carpets and worst of all, it can destroy your health.
Although not everyone’s health is affected by mold, it has been known to cause everything from allergy symptoms to rashes to extreme respiratory problems.
Recognize signs of mold
- You can’t always see mold, it could be hidden inside your walls or behind your wallpaper, but you may be able to smell it.
- Maybe you have noticed as you move from one area of your home to another, certain places have an earthy or musty smell, and even after cleaning the area the smell doesn’t go away.
- When mold is visible, it may look like black spots on your walls, or it could be white and fibrous looking, or sometimes a grayish brown.
- If you have wall paper, it may look like pink, orange or purple discolored spots.
- If you can see the mold, that also means there could could be larger colonies growing out of your sight.
- If you or someone else in your home are experiencing health issues that are unexplainable or seemingly untreatable, you may be feeling the effects of mold growth. It’s important to note, that your symptoms seem to go away and you feel better when you are away from home. Such symptoms as:
- Chronic headaches
- Sore throats
- Cold-like symptoms
- Difficulty breathing
- Skin rashes
- Trouble with your memory or concentration
- Signs of water damage, such as water stains, that may have been caused from leaky pipes, or peeling paint, condensation, flooding or even a leaky roof.
If you recognize any of these signs of mold growing in your home, remember how destructive it can be to your health and your home. Hire a professional to come and assess the situation, and remediate it in a safe and thorough way.
What is the Best Way to Remove Mold?
Why is Mold Exposure Dangerous?
We all experience a little mold every now and then, mainly on food that has been left too long in the refrigerator. But, unless you eat it (who would?), that isn’t the mold that can be dangerous to our health.
It’s the mold growing under your sink, in your attic or crawl space, hidden in dust or maybe out of sight within your walls, that can cause you harm.
How does mold get started?
Mold lives on organic materials such as paper, fabric or wood. These materials, along with moisture and a cool, humid temperature provide everything mold needs to live, grow and reproduce.
Mold is a natural part of our environment, and has an important job to do…outside, where it breaks down and helps dead things, such as leaves and wood decompose. If it would remain outside, there would be no danger.
The problem occurs when the mold begins to reproduce and send off microscopic spores into the air. These spores enter our homes and other buildings whenever we open a door or a window and whenever we or our pets enter. There is really no way to keep them out, which is not a problem unless they find the conditions we have spoken of above to start living, growing and reproducing.
What is the danger of mold growth in your house?
Aside from the fact that mold will destroy walls, clothing, furniture and carpet if left unremediated, mold can be dangerous to your health. It doesn’t affect everyone the same, but some people are at great risk from mold exposure.
Although, infrequently, mold can be absorbed through the skin, but typically, mold spores enter our bodies as we breathe. They find their way into the warm, moist areas of our nasal passages, our lungs and other areas of our respiratory system, causing such symptoms as:
- Symptoms similar to cold, flu or allergies
- Respiratory problems – especially for those who already have asthma and other respiratory weakness
- Sore throats
- Tired and achy muscles
- Skin rashes
The very young, the elderly and those already suffering with respiratory or autoimmune problems are at the highest risk.
Unexplained illness, musty smells or or stains on walls or ceilings can be clues that you might have a mold problem.
If you have any reason to believe you have mold growing in your home, remember how dangerous it can be to your health, and hire professionals to come and assess the situation, and remediate it in a safe and thorough way.