Is There a Difference Between Mold and Mildew?
Many people use the terms mold and mildew synonymously, substituting one for the other, which causes confusion, because we wonder if they are the same or if there is a difference.
They are the same, but they are different…does that clear things up?
Like so many things in life, they have various similarities and various differences.
Let’s talk about the similarities
- Both are types of fungus and spread by spore movement
- Both can be found growing in damp warm areas
- Both produce allergens and can be toxic and cause health problems
- Both can be found growing on a variety of surfaces
- Both move and spread easily and freely
- Both are always with us…they’re everywhere
- Both give off a musty smell
What are the differences?
- They are different in color
- Mold is found in a variety of colors, from black to green to orange and even blue
- Mildew is normally gray or white and can change color as it matures
- They are different in appearance or texture
- Mold is often thicker, it can be slimy or fuzzy
- Mildew is either powdery or downy
- Mildew can be spread by animals or even be transported on your clothing or shoes
- Some molds serve a purpose, they can be used in the production of penicillin or cheese
- There aren’t any good uses for mildew
- Mildew is more predominantly found on fabrics, paper and showers
- Mold is more typically found in walls, on ceilings and on food, in attics and crawl spaces
- Moldy food should never be eaten
Whatever their similarities or differences, it is unhealthy for you to have them growing in your home or any place where you spend several hours a day.
If you have mold on your food, throw it away.
Most people don’t have the knowledge or resources to remediate mold safely and permanently, so if you have mold growing on your walls or ceilings call a professional to assess the damage and eliminate the problem.
Mold Solutions is a full service mold solutions provider for the Seattle Puget Sound area, Bellevue, Everett, or Tacoma
We can remove the threats to your health and safety caused by mold.