What Kills Mold in Seattle?
Most people realize that mold is a living, growing organism, so when they see it growing in their home, the first thing they think about is killing it.
Just the idea of mold growing in our homes makes us shudder, but what’s even worse than the idea of it is the knowledge that too much exposure to mold spores can adversely affect our health, especially the health of infants, the elderly and those who have respiratory problems.
Mold spores are always floating around in the air outside, so it only makes sense that some will find their way into our homes. The problem arises when the spores that have entered our homes find a nice moist, warm place to land, attach to and grow.
Is mold hard to kill?
Mold is usually easy to clean off of non-porous surfaces such at tile, glass or metal and is less easily cleaned off of surfaces such as plastic or finished woods that are semi-porous.
Ridding porous surfaces like wallboard, furniture and unfinished wood of mold growth can be quite difficult. Sometimes if the mold can not be remediated:
- Parts of walls may need to be removed and replaced
- Household items may need to be throw away.
What not to use on mold
So often you hear, just use a little bleach on it, and it will go away. This couldn’t be further from the truth.
Here are the facts:
- Mold thrives on moisture (water)
- When using bleach (which is already 95% water), it is recommended that you dilute it to 1 part bleach and 10 parts water…are you starting to get the picture?
- This solution may remove the color pigment from the mold, but it leaves the mold alive and ready to grow some more.
- Bleach emits a gas that is not healthy for your or your family.
What should you do if you think you have a mold problem? How can you kill it?
Oftentimes there is more than meets the untrained eye, mold hides in places you wouldn’t think to look.